-->

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Silk Soymilk 10-day Challenge #imabzzagent


I recently took the Silk Soymilk 10 Day Challenge thanks to the free product coupons I was sent from Silk and BzzAgent. There were some ups and downs, but overall I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the switch was! You can take the challenge too! Head over to the Silk site to find out how, and to get a coupon to get you started!

First of all, Silk is a healthier overall choice over milk so I definitely wanted to give it a try. It has no cholesterol & lower saturated fat than dairy milk. It has as much calcium as typical dairy milk. See for yourself, and check out the benefits compared to milk on their site.

BzzAgent and Silk sent me two free product coupons and I had a hard time choosing which two varieties to get, with all the choices available. Just check out all these choices and you tell me you could only choose two!

Silk Soymilk - available in:
Original
Light Original
Organic Original
Vanilla
Light Vanilla
Organic Vanilla
Very Vanilla
Chocolate
Light Chocolate
Organic Unsweetened
DHA - Omega 3

Silk Pure Almond - available in:
Original
Vanilla
Dark Chocolate
Unsweetened

Silk Pure Coconut - available in:
Original
Vanilla

I ultimately chose Silk Light and Silk Pure Almond Dark Chocolate. Yum!


One thing I did notice right away, is the price. At my local grocery store, Silk was priced at $4.99 for a half gallon. I have to admit that there is absolutely no way that I would pay $9.98 for a gallon of "milk". I see it's on sale this week at the same store for $3.00, but that is still $6.00 a gallon. Not many families on a budget would be able to financially make a complete switch from milk to Silk. But as I found out while experimenting, Silk is great for substituting while cooking and baking, which could be completely within my budget.  But I'd still stick with diary milk for cereal and everyday drinking.


----------

First up is the Silk Light. I figured it was the closest thing to dairy milk. I was slightly wrong. The taste is good, but not quite like milk. It tastes a little like watered down milk, with a touch of vanilla. I easily substituted this in recipes with no complaints from my family. I made some homemade macaroni and cheese using the Silk Light and I actually thought it turned out creamier and tastier than with regular milk!


Now this is not the recipe I used, but one I found on the Silk site that looks equally as delicious as mine!  Ok, their picture is better, but don't be fooled, mine as super tasty too!


Silk Macaroni & Cheese

A creamy, non-dairy take on a family favorite.

Ingredients

8 ounces elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons margarine
1/4 cup flour
2-3 teaspoons mustard powder, to taste
3 cups Silk Original or Unsweetened soymilk, warmed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
pinch of nutmeg
1 1/2 cups soy or rice cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Boil macaroni in lightly salted water for 7-8 minutes until just done. Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mustard and cook for two minutes. Add warm Silk, salt, onion powder, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg. Cook, stirring often until mixture thickens and just comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of soy cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Add cooked macaroni and stir until evenly combined. Pour into prepared dish and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese.

Prepare topping. Mix melted margarine with panko crumbs until evenly coated and sprinkle over macaroni and cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve while warm.

Sounds yummy to me!

I also used it in my coffee instead of flavored non-dairy creamer and couldn't hardly tell a difference! It added just a touch of sweetness that dairy milk just doesn't have.  However, no one in my family liked just drinking a glass of Silk Light. The flavor is a bit strange and would take a little getting used to. My kids did try it on their cereal and were surprised that the flavor worked so well. It adds just a bit of sweetness and is still creamy enough to make cereal delicious!

----------

Next up was the Silk Pure Almond Dark Chocolate. One word - divine! It is the absolute smoothest, creamiest, most chocolatey, chocolate milk I've ever had!


Silk Pure Almond Dark Chocolate has 50% more calcium than dairy milk and only 120 calories.

As recommended on the Silk site, I tried warming it up for hot chocolate. I think it was almost too creamy to be warm. Felt a little thick going down, but still super sweet and chocolatey!  AND it still has less calories than typical dairy milk!  I couldn't find any recipes on their site using the Dark Chocolate but I'm sure you could get pretty creative!

----------

I have to admit, I was surprised that I actually liked Silk as much as I did.  You hear 'soy milk' and you think FAKE milk, right?  I did!  Fake milk that can't even compare to rich, creamy diary milk.  Boy was I wrong.  I was pretty happy with the two products I chose to try out, but I'd love to be able to give all of the 17 varieties.  Silk, you've made me a believer!  My only issue is the price.  If it were a little closer to the price of dairy milk, I guarantee TONS of consumers would be jumping on the Silk bandwagon!

Why Silk?  Check out all the reasons why Silk is better for you than dairy milk on their site.

Follow Silk on Twitter.  And on Facebook.  Or check out The Silk Channel on YouTube.

And take the challenge yourself!  Register here for a $0.75 coupon to get you started.

I'm a BzzAgent and was provided with 2 free product coupons and 4 $1.50 off coupons for Silk.  Although I was provided free product, my opinions are my own and were not influenced in any way by Silk or BzzAgent.  See my full Disclosure/Acknowledgement policy here.  Thank you to Silk and to BzzAgent for providing the product for me to try out.

3 comments:

  1. Your mac & cheese looks really good!
    I love almond milk but not sure about the soy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Just legendary! Your publishing manner is pleasing and the way you dealt the subject with grace is admirably. I am intrigued, I presume you are an expert on this topic. I am subscribing to your future updates from now on.

    ReplyDelete